I have traveled by air countless times, and I have figured out everything I need to survive it happily. I am actually flying today (PDX-IAH-MEX) so you can find out in detail what’s in my bag.
- Green card
- Wallet – bought it in my last trip to Mexico and is made by a Mexican designer. I love this wallet.
- Reading glasses
- Eye drops
- Travel-size Advil
- Travel-size mouth wash
- Trident chewing gum
- Chapstick – Burt’s Bees Lip Balm, Mango Butter
- Lip Balm – Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Balm. I love this lip balm because it adds a subtle and natural reddish/pinkish color to your lips without making it look like you are wearing lipstick.
- Throat candy for sore throats.
- Snacks – these vary every time. This time I went with a Nothin’ But Premium Snack Bar and a bag of mixed nuts from the grocery store.
- A small notebook – It’s the yellow one with the dancing skeletons.
- Sanitizing wipes for the airplane (Read how to avoid getting sick on an airplane)
- Printed travel itinerary
- My $5 dollar phone for calls.
- An Indian smartphone that was hubby’s when we lived in India. It doesn’t work here but I use it for wifi and the Kindle Reading App. Currently I’m reading this book.
- Not pictured, my camera Sony NEX-6 that I love and can’t recommend enough. The lens cap took its place in the picture on the far top left.
- And everything goes in my favorite leather Fossil bag.
The cat is not coming.
My laptop also comes with me in the perfect 13-inch laptop bag, plus charger and sometimes an actual book. This time: The Alchemist, which if you haven’t read, you really, really need to read. It’s a great travel book too.
For longer flights, I’d include a memory foam neck pillow.
Also not pictured, one of my favorite travel tips to give is to bring an empty water bottle before you cross security (empty because you can’t bring liquids) and refill it once inside. Buying water in the airport is pretty expensive and most airports have water fountains where you can refill your bottle any number of times. You know how important it is to stay hydrated during travel. I recommend this reusable collapsible water bottle.
What’s in your travel bag?