These cookies are wonderfully healthy! With just a bit of sweetness to bring out the chocolate and coconut flavors you might be making these often. They are so simple to make, and they’re perfect for summer too with my no-bake variation.
4 Ingredient Coconut Cacao Thumbprint Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan, Paleo)
Without counting salt and the optional nut toppings, these cookies truly just need 4 ingredients!
for the cookies:
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
3 tbsp pure maple syrup (I used 2 to make it a bit less sweet)
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
a pinch of salt
for the chocolate ganache:
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
a pinch of fine grain sea salt
Sliced almonds or cashew halves.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Put all of the cookie ingredients in the food processor (I use this one) and process until mixture sticks together.
3. Scoop into 1 tbs sized balls on a small greased baking sheet, press down to flatten and use your thumb to create a cavity in the middle of each cookie.
4. Bake for 8 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and press down gently on the middle of the cookie. Let cool almost completely about 10 minutes and
6. Place in the fridge.
7. Prepare the chocolate filling. Mix all the ganache ingredients until emulsified.
8. Carefully spoon the chocolate ganache into each cavity. Return to the fridge for 5 min for the ganache to set.
9. If using, top with sliced almonds or cashew halves.
Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.
I baked them because I like the flavor of toasted coconut but you can skip the baking step altogether! Simply follow the directions above but skip steps 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Notes: feel free to double or triple the recipe!